The Freedom 2017 NANO includes five filtration components and eight filtration stages, with up to 99.5% removal rate of chlorine, chloramines, lead, mercury, heavy metals, MTBE, VOCs, giardia, Entamoeba, cryptosporidium, toxoplasma cysts and contaminants, while maintaining desired pH (alkalinity) and dissolved minerals. A special feature is the .01 micron nanofiltration filter, which blocks viruses, bacteria, pathogens and over 85% of pharmaceutical drugs.
Annual replacement filter kits are available, as well.
Download the OPUS Freedom Nano water purification system Installation Guide [PDF].
The OPUS Freedom Nano 2017 water purification system consists of five advanced filtration components providing eight stages of filtration, contained in a unit with three vertical filter housings and two horizontally mounted filters.
Included Components and Specifications:
1. Triple filter wall mount unit for installation under a sink or in a basement, to allow easy access to the system for future filter changes.
2. 10" long 5 micron pleated dirt/rust/sediment filter attached by two 2" plastic clips to the top of the unit. (Stage 1)
3. 10" long 3 lb KDF media/0.6 lb granulated activated carbon (GAC) filter. (Stage 2 & 3)
4. 10" long Coconut Shell activated catalytic carbon block filter that removes chlorine and chloramines, and particulates down to 1 micron. (Stage 4 and 5)
5. 10" long 0.5 micron carbon microfiltration filter that removes MTBE, VOCs and chlorine, with 99% removal of lead and mercury, and particles as small as .5 microns. (Stage 6 & 7)
6. Horizontally mounted .01 Micron Nanofiltration filter, connected to the 5 micron sediment filter. Blocks protozoa, (cryptosporidium, giardia), bacteria (campylobacter, salmonella, shigella, E. coli), viruses (enteric, hepatitis A, norovirus, rotavirus), and over 85% of pharmaceutical drugs. (Stage 8)
7. Quick connects throughout for all ¼" tubing connections, including on the beautiful brushed nickel ceramic disk designer faucet.
8. Brushed nickel lead-free ceramic disk designer faucet with normal sink installation components, including a John Guest quick connect screwed onto the end, for quick and easy connection of the blue tubing from the output of the system.
9. Two 5 foot lengths of flexible LLDPE ¼" tubing – one blue, and one red.
10. John Guest ball valve, a convenient shut off valve that is installed with a short piece of ¼" tubing on the left side of the system (water input). This shut off valve makes it easy to turn off the water to the system for filter flushing and filter changes.
11. Filter Wrench, to enable easy opening of the filter housings (the three vertical components) that hold the filters.
12. Five Year Limited Warranty.
The individual components included in this design include:
Stage 1 -- 5 Micron Pleated Sediment Filter: In normal use, this filter, which is mounted horizontally on the top of the unit by two 2" plastic clips, should be replaced annually; however, depending on the quantity of water purified and the level of dissolved solids and sediment in your water, you may need to change it more often. Change this filter if water pressure drops to unacceptable levels, or, at minimum, annually.
Stage 2 & 3 -- 3 lb KDF Media/0.6 lb GAC: This is the left vertical stage of the unit. This filter consists of two components (two stages), including the equivalent of 3 pounds of KDF media and three-fifths of a pound of granulated activated carbon (GAC). KDF media is a copper-zinc formulation that combines electrochemical and catalytic technology to remove chlorine, lead, mercury, iron, aluminum, arsenic, chromium, copper, manganese, nickel, chloroform, trichloroethane, lindane, nitrates, nitrites and hydrogen sulfide from water. KDF media has a mild antibacterial, algaecitic, and fungicitic effect, and may reduce the accumulation of lime scale. Change this filter annually, even if less than 5 gallons per day is purified.
Stage 4 & 5 -- 1 Micron Activated Catalytic Coconut Shell Carbon Block. This filter is installed in the middle (center) vertical stage.This filter adsorbs chloramines and chlorine, while blocking all particulate matter down to 1 micron. This filter must be changed annually even if less than five gallons of water are filtered daily. This filter has multiple functions, including:
• Adsorbing chlorine and chloramines, and improves taste and odor.
• Trapping particles as small as 1 micron, including particles from the KDF/GAC filter in the left vertical stage (which is why it is critical to flush the KDF/GAC filter prior to installing this, and the 0.5 micron filter of Stage 6 & 7).
Stage 6 & 7 -- 0.5 Micron MTBE/VOC/Lead/Mercury Microfilter: This is the right vertical stage of the unit. This filter must be changed annually even if less than five gallons of water are purified daily. This filter has multiple functions, including:
• Trapping particles down to .5 microns, including particles from the KDF/GAC filter in Stage 2 & 3, which is installed in the middle filter container. (Stage 6)
• Removing chlorine, odors, dissolved and particulate lead, mercury (99.5% removal rate for lead and mercury), and giardia, cryptosporidium, entamoeba and toxoplasma cysts. A unique feature of this filter is the filtration of MTBE and VOCs – contaminants that very few filtration systems can remove. (Stage 7)
Stage 8 -- .01 Micron Inline Nanofiltration Filter: Clipped with two plastic clips to the 5 micron sediment filter, this filter blocks protozoa (cryptosporidium, giardia), bacteria (campylobacter, salmonella, shigella, E. coli), and viruses (enteric, hepatitis A, norovirus, rotavirus), and up to 85% of pharmaceutical drugs. This filter is an excellent low cost alternative to germicidal ultraviolet radiation, and will provide peace of mind should the municipal water supply fail to provide sterilization. This filter does not affect the mineral content in water, maintaining the pH of the incoming water.
Annual Cost of Operation: About $310 Per Year (plus taxes)
Cost Per Gallon: $0.17; Cost Per Litre: 3.7 Cents
Replacement Filters (Individual)
Annual Replacement Filter Kits
Upgrades (including ultraviolet sterilization)