The Roomaid provides three stages of filtration to offer relief from asthma and allergies, capturing large particles with its outer prefilter in the first stage, and harmful, irritating, and/or allergenic small particulates with its HEPA filter in the second stage, and reducing odours, chemicals and gases with an activated charcoal filter in its third stage, in the core.
Common Applications: Homes/Bedrooms; Office/Workplace; Automobiles or RVs; Travel/Hotel.
To tackle more intensive odours or chemical or gas pollution, there is also an optional VOC (Volatile Organic Compounds) Canister upgrade for the third stage. You can buy it pre-equipped with that from our Roomaid with HEPA & VOC Filtration page, or purchase it as a Roomaid Annual Filter Replacement Kit with VOC if you find you need it later on.
Roomaid's 3-Stage Filtration
Stage 1 - 1/8" Foam Prefilter: Removes airborne dust, lint, (pet) hair, carpet fibers. Machine washable. Slips over the HEPA filter like a sock. Two are included in the purchase (one as a replacement / spare).
Stage 2 - HEPA filter [17 sq. ft Pleated Snap-On HEPA Cartridge]: Targets small particulates such as dust, smoke, pollen, animal dander, bacteria, mold spores, attached viruses, radon daughters/progeny. 99.97% efficient at 0.3 microns.
Stage 3 - a choice of either:
- the standard Carbon Inner Blanket [1/2" non-woven polyester filter media imbued 200% with Activated Carbon (26g = 25,600 sq. m absorption surface area), to reduce odours and remove some chemicals or gases; or,
- an Optional Stage Three VOC Canister [Granulated Carbon pellets encased in steel meshed canister (145 g = 159,500 sq. m absorption surface area)], to remove Volatile Organic Compounds such as Formaldehyde that may off-gas from such things as aerosols, carpets, cigarette smoke, cleaners, furniture, dry-cleaned clothes, glues, solvents, paint, or paneling. It also targets Pet Odour; Pet Dander; Bacteria; Cooking Odour; Wood Smoke; Adhesives; Viruses; and Tobacco Smoke.
Class: Portable HEPA Filtration System
Delivered Airflow: 20 to 40 CFM (Cubic Feet per Minute)
Dimensions: 8.5" round, 7.5" high
Control: 2 Speed, 3 Position Switch
Power Connection: powered by a 12v DC to 115 AC Adaptor, on a 7 foot Cord with a standard North American plug
Power Consumption: 5 Watts per hour
Noise Rating at 6 feet: 40 to 47 dBA
Motor: Backward curved impeller
Construction: 24 gauge steel housing, durable baked thermoset powder finish.
Made in Canada, this model is covered by a 5-year limited warranty (5 years from the date of purchase on the motor/fan, and 1 year for all other component parts (except filters)).
The Roomaid is recommended for areas up to 300 sq. ft. (with 8 ft. ceilings), where it can provide 8 ACH (Air Changes per Hour).
(Generally speaking, the more hourly air changes you can provide, the more effective a HEPA filter can be; even just 1 ACH can provide excellent air cleaning results, but higher is recommended for people with sensitivities.)
If used in a vehicle, its ratings are as follows:
Small Car (2-seats) (Approx. 75 cubic ft): 32 ACH (Air Changes per Hour)
Medium Car (4 seats) (Approx. 150 cubic ft): 16 ACH
Small SUV (6 seats) (Approx. 240 cubic ft): 10 ACH
Large SUV/Van (8 seats) (Approx. 300 cubic ft): 8 ACH
This video shows how the various filters fit together in the Roomaid, for when it comes time to replace them. The Replacement Filters/Accessories for it available through Aviva include: 1) Roomaid Standard Annual Filter Replacement Kits; 2) the Plus Annual Filter Kits (including VOC Canister); 3) HEPA Snap-On Cartridges; and 4) Roomaid Auto Kit. (All sold separately.)
Recommended Filter Life for Each Stage with Regular Use:
- Pre-Filter: 12 months (check every 3 months, to vacuum or hand wash it then)
- HEPA Filter: 2 to 5 years (check every 2 years; replace when the media's outside surface has turned dark)
- Standard Carbon Filter inner blanket: 4 to 6 months (or when there's a noticeable increase in odors)