Info: 6 Filter, 8 Stage Water Purification System
The AlkaNano is a state of the art point-of-use drinking water system designed for water supplies which are fluoridated and which may use chlorine* for disinfection, but may not always be safe to drink. This system removes the fluoride, and produces great tasting water that is free of chlorine, lead, mercury, heavy metals, contaminants, viruses, bacteria, and can also remove over 85% of pharmaceutical drugs which may have found their way into your region's water supply.
The AlkaNano consists of six advanced filtration components providing eight stages of filtration, with three vertical stages and three horizontally mounted inline filters. Particularly of note are the 0.01 micron Nanofiltration filter which removes bacteria, viruses and over 85% of pharmaceutical drugs; and a 14" Bioceramic alkalizing antioxidant filter.
This water purification system also provides higher levels of healthful minerals, a lower ORP (Oxidation Reduction Potential), a smaller water cluster size, an increase in active hydrogen ions, and an increased pH while giving the water antioxidant properties, using a Bioceramic alkalizing antioxidant filter.
* This model is not designed for water sources treated with chloramine, however; please see one of the Chloraminated Water systems for that.
Included Components and Specifications:
1. Triple filter wall-mountable housing designed to be installed either under a sink or in a basement or lower level (additional tubing required for lower level installations).
2. Inline horizontally mounted 5 micron carbon filter, adsorbs chlorine, and removes lead, cysts, sediment down to 5 microns. (Stage 1)
3. 10" bone char fluoride adsorption filter removes fluoride and arsenic. (Stage 2)
4. 10" 3 lb KDF media with 0.6 lb granulated activated carbon filter. (Stage 3 & 4)
5. 10" .5 micron carbon microfiltration filter that removes MTBE, VOCs, lead, mercury, chlorine, and particles .5 microns and larger. (Stage 5 & 6)
6. 14" horizontally mounted 0.01 Micron Nanofiltration filter, which blocks protozoa, (cryptosporidium, giardia), bacteria (campylobacter, salmonella, shigella, E. coli), viruses (enteric, hepatitis A, norovirus, rotavirus), and over 85% of pharmaceutical drugs. (Stage 7)
7. 14" inline bioceramic filter, connected by plastic clips to the 5 micron carbon block filter, mounted horizontally. (Stage 8)
8. Quick connects throughout for all ¼" tubing connections, including on the brushed nickel ceramic disk designer faucet.
9. Brushed nickel lead-free ceramic disk designer faucet with standard sink installation components, including a John Guest quick connect for easy connection of the blue tubing from the output of the system.
10. Two 5 foot lengths of flexible LLDPE ¼" BPA-free tubing - one blue, and one red. [Red is used to connect to the cold water source and to the John Guest ball valve (shut-off valve) installed in the input of the 5 micron horizontally mounted inline sediment filter. The blue tubing is connected to the output of the system and to the supplied John Guest quick connect that is screwed onto the bottom of the supplied faucet.]
11. John Guest ball valve shut-off valve, to make it easy to shut off water for initial filter flushing and future filter changes, connected to the 5 micron sediment filter.
12. Filter wrench, to enable easy opening of the filter housings (three vertical components).
13. Five Year Limited Warranty
ALKANANO FILTRATION UNIT DESCRIPTION:
Stage 1: Horizontally Mounted 5 Micron Carbon Block Filter. This is an inline horizontally mounted unit mounted on the metal bracket of the system with plastic clips. Under normal use, this filter should last from six months to a year; however, depending on the quantity of water purified and the level of sediment in your water, it may require changing more often. Replace this filter if the water pressure drops to an unacceptable level, but at minimum it should be changed annually.
Stage 2: Bone Char Fluoride Filter. This filter in the left vertical stage of the three vertically mounted filters is specifically designed to remove fluoride. Under normal use, replace this filter annually.
Stage 3 & 4: 3 lb KDF Media/0.6 lb GAC. This is the middle, or centre vertical stage of the unit. This filter consists of two components (two stages), including the equivalent of 3 pounds of KDF media and over half a pound of granulated activated carbon (GAC). KDF media is a copper-zinc formulation that uses electrochemical and catalytic technology to remove chlorine, lead, mercury, iron, aluminum, arsenic, chromium, copper, manganese, nickel, chloroform, trichloroethane, lindane, nitrates, nitrites and hydrogen sulfide from water. KDF media has a mild antibacterial, algaecitic, and fungicitic effect, and may reduce the accumulation of lime scale. The filter housing above this filter is labeled Stage 3 & 4 -- 3 lb KDF/GAC. Replace this filter annually with normal use.
Stage 5 & 6: 0.5 Micron MTBE/VOC/Lead/Mercury Microfilter:
This is the right vertical stage of the unit with multiple functions, including:
• Trapping particles down to .5 microns large from the KDF/GAC filter in stage 3 & 4. (Stage 5).
• Removing chlorine, odors, dissolved and particulate lead, mercury (99.5% removal rate for lead and mercury), and cysts, including giardia, crypto-sporidium, entamoeba and toxoplasma. A unique feature of this filter is the filtration of MTBE and VOCs – contaminants that very few filtration systems can remove. (Stage 6)
Replace this dual-purpose filter annually with normal use.
Stage 7: .01 Micron Inline Nanofiltration filter. Mounted horizontally on the unit with two plastic clips to the 5 micron sediment filter on the top metal bracket, this filter blocks protozoa (cryptosporidium, giardia), bacteria (campylobacter, salmonella, shigella, E. coli), and viruses (enteric, hepatitis A, norovirus, rotavirus), and removes over 85% of pharmaceutical drugs. This filter is an excellent low cost alternative to germicidal ultraviolet radiation, and will provide peace of mind should the municipal water supply fail to provide sterilization. This filter does not affect the mineral content in water, maintaining the pH of the incoming water. Replace this filter annually with normal use.
Stage 8: Bioceramic Alkalizing Antioxidant Filter. A 14 inch horizontally mounted inline filter. Using bioceramics, alkalizing minerals (magnesium, calcium and potassium), and unique ceramics, the bioceramic filter transforms water purified by the previous six stages into naturally ionized (as opposed to ionization by titanium coated platinum plates), antioxidant, oxygenated, alkalizing water with a reduced oxidation reduction potential (ORP) and a high concentration of molecular hydrogen. Replace this filter annually with normal use.
Benefits of the Bioceramic Filter:
• Increased pH, creating more alkaline (higher pH) drinking water. Alkaline liquids help flush acidic metabolites and toxins at the cellular level, while increasing the body’s alkalinity.
• Addition of healthful ionic (ionized) minerals, including magnesium, calcium, and potassium.
• Increase in oxygen. Ionized water can deliver twice the oxygen to your cells as tap or bottled water. German biochemist Dr. Otto Warburg won the Nobel Prize for research indicating that cancer cells are anaerobic and that cancer cannot survive in the presence of oxygen.
• The antioxidant function scavenges oxygen free radicals (reactive oxygen species), and may help reduce the risk of degenerative diseases including cancer, diabetes, and heart disease.
• Tourmaline – Far-infrared ceramic balls produce negative hydrogen (hydroxyl) ions and create a smaller water cluster size.
• Smaller water clusters (51.497 Hz) hydrate the body up to 3 times more effectively than normal water, while helping to increase the absorption of nutrients and minerals.
• Lowers the ORP (oxidation reducing potential) of water to between -100mv and -350mv depending on source water and raises the pH to between 8 and 9.5.
COST OF OPERATION:
(Based on 5 gallons of use per day)
ANNUAL COST TO OPERATE: $480.00 (plus tax)
MONTHLY COST: $40.00
WEEKLY COST: $9.23
DAILY COST: $1.32
COST PER GALLON: $0.26
COST PER LITRE: 5.8 CENTS
Warnings:OPUS recommends all water/plumbing products be installed by professionals. Be sure to flush the filters in the proper order before hooking up and using the whole system, as indicated in the Installation Guide.
Download the OPUS AlkaNano water purification system Installation Guide [PDF] (Please note, this guide for an earlier version which used a different type of 5 micron filter in the first stage, so the price of the annual filter replacement and operating costs differs slightly.)