Info: 5 Filter, Eight-Stage Water Purification System
The AlkaPlus Freedom Chloramine Redox is a point-of-use drinking water system designed for water which has not been fluoridated and which uses chloramines for disinfection. This unit produces great tasting water that is free of chlorine, chloramines, lead, mercury, heavy metals and contaminants. The bioceramic Alkalizing Antioxidant filter provides increased pH, higher levels of healthful minerals, a lower ORP (Oxidation Reduction Potential), a smaller water cluster size, and an increase in active hydrogen ions, while giving the water antioxidant properties.
Shipping and handling included within Canada.
Product Notes:Replacement filters can be bought individually or as part of an Annual Filter Replacement Kit. For further options and add-ons for your water filtration system (including ultraviolet sterilization and nanofiltration), see the Upgrades page. For further information, download the OPUS AlkaPlus Freedom Chloramine Redox water purification system Installation Guide [PDF]
The OPUS AlkaPlus Freedom Chloramine Redox water purification system consists of five advanced filtration components providing eight filtration stages contained in a five discrete filter unit, with three vertical stages and two horizontally mounted inline filters. The final output stage is the bioceramic alkalizing antioxidant filter which is horizontally mounted on the top of the system. Included are two five foot lengths of ¼" BPA free LLDPE tubing, a brushed nickel ceramic disk designer faucet, a filter wrench, a John Guest ball valve that is inserted in the water input quick connect on the 5 micron sediment filter, and a quick connect that is attached to the faucet for quick and easy installation.
Included Components and Specifications:
1. Triple filter wall mountable housing designed to be installed under a sink or in a basement or lower level (additional tubing required for lower level installations).
2. Inline 5 micron Omnipure dirt/rust/sediment filter, horizontally mounted. (Stage 1).
3. 10" 3 lb KDF media with 0.6 lb granulated activated carbon filter. (Stage 2 & 3)
4. 10" 1 micron catalytic carbon chloramine filter that removes bad tastes and odors, chloramines, chlorine, and sediment to 1 micron. (Stage 4 & 5)
5. 10" .5 micron carbon microfiltration filter that removes MTBE, VOCs and chlorine, with 95% removal of lead and mercury. (Stage 6 & 7)
6. 14" inline horizontally mounted Bioceramic Antioxidant Alkalizing Filter. (Stage 8)
7. Brushed nickel ceramic disk designer faucet with normal sink installation components, including a John Guest quick connect for easy connection of the blue tubing from the output of the system. A 5/8" hole is needed to mount the faucet in a sink or countertop.
8. Two 5 foot lengths of flexible BPA free LLDPE ¼" tubing – one blue, and one red. Red is used to connect to the cold water source and to the John Guest ball valve (shut-off valve) connected to the horizontally mounted Omnipure 5 micron sediment filter. The blue tubing is connected to the output of the system and to the supplied John Guest quick connect that is screwed onto the bottom of the supplied faucet.
9. John Guest ball valve shut-off valve, a convenient shut-off valve that is installed with a short piece of ¼" tubing on the left side of the system (water input). The shut-off valve makes it easy to turn off the water to the system for flushing and filter changes.
10. Filter wrench, to enable easy opening of the filter housings (three vertical components).
11. Quick connects throughout for all ¼" tubing connections, including on the beautiful brushed nickel ceramic disk designer faucet.
ALKAPLUS FREEDOM CHLORAMINE REDOX FILTRATION UNIT DESCRIPTION:
Stage 1 – Horizontally Mounted 5 Micron Omnipure Sediment Filter. This is an inline plastic filter horizontally mounted on the top of the system with plastic clips. Under normal use, this filter should last a year; however, depending on the quantity of water purified and the level of sediment in your water, it may require changing more often. Replace this filter if the water pressure drops to an unacceptable level, but at minimum it should be changed annually.
Stage 2 & 3 – 3 lb KDF Media/0.6 lb GAC. This is the left vertical stage of the unit. This filter consists of two components (two stages), including the equivalent of 3 pounds of KDF media and over half a pound of granulated activated carbon (GAC). KDF media is a copper-zinc formulation that combines electrochemical and catalytic technology to remove chlorine, lead, mercury, iron, aluminum, arsenic, chromium, copper, manganese, nickel, chloroform, trichloroethane, lindane, nitrates, nitrites and hydrogen sulfide from water. KDF media has a mild antibacterial, algaecitic, and fungicitic effect, and may reduce the accumulation of lime scale. Change this filter annually, even if less than 5 gallons per day is purified.
Stage 4 & 5 – Catalytic Carbon Chlorine and Chloramine Filter. This is the middle vertical stage of the unit, and consists of a 1 micron catalytic carbon filter. This filter is installed after the 15 minute flushing of the Stage 3 & 4 KDF/GAC filter. Change this filter annually even if less than 5 gallons per day are purified. This filter has multiple functions, including:
• trapping particles as small as 1 micron from the KDF/GAC filter in Stage 2 & 3; and,
• removing chlorine, chloramines, odors, and bad tastes.
Stage 6 & 7 – .5 Micron MTBE/VOC/Lead/Mercury Microfiltration Filter. This filter is installed in the right vertical stage of the system after a 15 minute flushing of the Stage 2 & 3 KDF/GAC filter in the left vertical housing, and a fifteen minute flushing of the Stage 4 & 5 chloramine filter in the middle vertical housing. This filter must be changed annually even if less than 5 gallons per day are purified. This filter also has multiple functions, including:
• trapping particles from the KDF/GAC filter in Stage 2 & 3, and carbon particles from the Stage 4 & 5 catalytic carbon block chloramine filter – trapping particles as small as .5 microns; and,
• removing chlorine; odors; dissolved and particulate lead; mercury (99.5% removal rate for lead and mercury); and giardia, cryptosporidium, entamoeba and toxoplasma cysts. A unique feature of this filter is the filtration of MTBE and VOCs – contaminants that very few filtration systems can remove. (Stage 7)
Stage 8 – 14" Horizontally Mounted Bioceramic Alkalizing Antioxidant filter. Using bioceramics, alkalizing minerals (magnesium, calcium and potassium), and other unique minerals and ceramics, the OPUS bioceramic alkalizing antioxidant filter transforms water purified by the previous five stages into antioxidant, oxygenated, alkalizing drinking water with a higher pH, and a lower oxidation reduction potential (ORP).
BENEFITS OF THE BIOCERAMIC FILTER:
• Increased pH, creating more alkaline (higher pH) drinking water. Alkaline liquids help flush acidic metabolites and toxins at the cellular level, while increasing the body’s alkalinity.
• Addition of healthful ionic (ionized) minerals, including magnesium, calcium, and potassium.
• Increase in oxygen. Ionized water can deliver twice as much oxygen to your cells as tap or bottled water. German biochemist Dr. Otto Warburg won the Nobel Prize for research indicating that cancer cells are anaerobic and that cancer cannot survive in the presence of oxygen.
• Added Vitamin C, which contributes to the antioxidant functionality of the filter.
• The antioxidant function scavenges oxygen free radicals (reactive oxygen species), and may help reduce the risk of degenerative diseases including cancer, diabetes, and heart disease.
• Tourmaline – Far-infrared ceramic balls produce negative hydrogen (hydroxyl) ions and create a smaller water cluster size.
• Smaller water clusters (51.497 Hz) hydrate the body up to 3 times more effectively than normal water, while helping to increase the absorption of nutrients and minerals.
ANNUAL COST OF OPERATION: $360.00 PER YEAR (plus taxes)
COST PER GALLON (based on using 5 Gallons per day): <$0.20
Replacement Filters (Individual)
Annual Replacement Filter Kits
Upgrades (including ultraviolet sterilization and nanofiltration)
Warnings:OPUS recommends all water/plumbing products be installed by professionals. Be sure to flush the filters in the proper order before hooking up and using the whole system, as indicated in the Installation Guide.