NEW! Recent developments in Light Emitting Diode technology have made it possible to produce extremely bright and energy-saving lights which are much smaller and longer lasting than previous types of bulbs. AURA from TheraLite is a wellness lamp designed to treat Seasonal Affective Disorder or help with other conditions related to melatonin production* using this new LED technology. S&H included in Canada.
The first TheraLite lamp released was a freestanding, compact desk model. With its smaller size, that powerful lamp needs to be placed very close in order to be therapeutic in a short amount of time. This larger TheraLite AURA lamp is on a stand (with a small base or 'footprint'), and can be placed a little farther away. It also features three other brightness settings making it suitable as a reading or task lamp, as well.
Many healthcare professionals now recommend bright light therapy (with 10,000 LUX units of light) as the first line of treatment to help alleviate seasonal affective disorder, since it is safe, effective, non-invasive and has few if any side-effects. In a nutshell, it works like a summer morning sunrise: when the intense light enters the top of the eyes, it switches off our brain's production of melatonin, the sedative which makes us drowsy, and which can also make us moody, withdrawn, and/or irritable.
* This light may also be able to help with several other issues which tie into melatonin production and the sleep/wake cycle, such as jet lag, adjusting to shift work, or other types of irregular sleeping patterns.
For more information about this treatment modality, please see our Frequently asked questions about light therapy page.
TheraLite Aura Features and Specifications
• Provides 10,000 LUX at a distance of 12" / 30 cm
• Light Source: 168 UV-free LED Bulbs, 3000K
• Power source: standard 110 AC power cord
• Control Panel: On, Off, and Brightness level buttons conveniently located on the front of the base of the unit (as shown in close-ups in the final product photo)
• Lamphead is adjustable to many angles (using the large knob at the top of the neck on the stem), to ensure is it positioned to shine above your eyes, or to reposition to use for various other lighting tasks
- 22 x 11.25 x 11.5 inches (56 x 28 x 29 cm) altogether;
- the lamphead is about 11 inches wide by 8 inches high and 1-1/2 inches deep;
- the base is about 6-1/4" wide and 8-1/8 inches back to front;
- the stem is 12 inches high, and requires at least another 7 to 8 inches clearance for the lamphead on top, unless it is angled more horizontally.
Model number: P830CA - Theralight / Compass / Carex
As a therapy for Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) or "the Winter Blues," it is best to use the TheraLite Aura at full power soon after you first get up. For the full effect, use it for at least 30 minutes if the lamphead is shining from the recommended distance of 12 inches away (30 cm) from the top of your eyes... or more, if it is farther away (60 minutes, if it is 18" (45 cm) away; or 120 minutes if positioned 24" (60 cm) away).