10 Reasons To Take A Fibre Supplement
1) Fibre is essential for healthy bowel function and will improve bowel movements. As fibre passes through the bowel it absorbs water and increase the bulk of the waste matter. It also softens the bowel movement making it easier to pass. This makes fibre key to eliminating constipation.
2) Fibre plays a big role in managing glucose (sugar) levels. Fibre slows down the conversion of carbohydrates to sugar, slowing down glucose absorption and stabilizing insulin. It also increases insulin sensitivity, which is the measure of how well cells respond to insulin. This is very important in managing diabetes and can help to reverse insulin resistance.
3) Fibre helps to maintain healthy cholesterol levels by lowering LDL cholesterol (the “bad” cholesterol) and increasing the HDL or “good” cholesterol levels. It also helps to inhibit production of triglycerides by the liver.
4) Fibre can help protect against heart disease and stroke. This seems to be because of its positive effect on cholesterol, circulating blood sugar and blood pressure. Studies show that for every 10 grams of fibre you consume daily, your risk of heart attack may drop by about 14%. Those 10 grams of fibre may also reduce the overall risk of dying from some form of cardiovascular disease, including stroke, by 27 percent.
5) Eating a high fibre diet helps to decrease the risk of developing certain cancers such as breast, colon, pancreatic and stomach cancer. Exactly how this happens, and which fibre is most effective, is still a topic of debate. The reason it is hard to pinpoint is because most fibre-rich foods also contain phyto-nutrients which help the body fight off tumours. Regardless of the mechanism, almost all researchers agree that eating a high fibre diet reduces your risk of cancer.
6) Fibre helps to control appetite making weight loss easier. It does this in two ways: First it helps to physically fill you up by expanding in your stomach creating more volume. This is especially true with soluble fibre. Dietary fibre also stimulates the production of the satiety hormone, cholecystokinin (CCK for short), which sends the message “I am full, put down the fork!”. The ability of fibre to stabilize blood sugar levels, also helps to control cravings and hunger.
7) Another way that fibre helps with weight loss is by actually decreasing the amount of calories absorbed by the body. This is called the Fibre Flush Effect. Studies have shown that for every gram of fibre we eat, we eliminate 7 calories. This means if you consume the recommended 35 grams of fibre each day, you will eliminate 245 calories daily! The Fibre Flush Effect coupled with fibre’s ability to control appetite makes it a powerful ally in the battle of the bulge.
8) We have all heard about probiotics, the “good” bacteria we should be consuming for ideal health, but have you heard of PREBIOTICS? Prebiotics increase colonization of probiotics by acting as a food source. Fibre, especially the soluble variety, is a powerful prebiotic.
9) Fibre helps to manage and prevent many digestive disorders including I.B.S, Constipation, Diverticulosis, Hemorrhoids, Gallstones and GERD (Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease). It is also very important in managing the auto-immune disorders, Crohn’s disease and Ulcerative Colitis. People with these issues should ensure that they increase fibre supplementation slowly and drink plenty of water.
10) Last but certainly not least, fibre assists in the elimination of unwanted substances from the body (for example toxins, heavy metals, candida and parasites die off). This makes fibre supplementation a crucial part of any cleansing and detoxification program. Whether you are doing an herbal cleansing kit or colonics, fibre is the perfect companion to your program. It helps to absorb the released toxins and shuttle them out of the body so they are not reabsorbed. It also helps to ensure you are eliminating regularly. Fibre helps to decrease common detox reactions that may occur, such as headaches and skin breakouts.