Ultraviolet light is effective at killing bacteria, viruses, mold, algae, yeast, cysts (including cryptosporidium and giardia), some volatile organic compounds and other biological contaminants. Unlike chlorine, which is used in municipal water supplies to kill microorganisms, UV-C sterilization systems do not introduce any potentially poisonous components into your drinking water, or adversely affect the taste or smell of drinking water.
Specifications and Store Codes
- the 1 GPM bulb is for the newer OPUS CottagePure & other Point-Of-Use Drinking Water Systems sold after 2015, which are outfitted with the Excelight EL12AK UV-C Sterilization Filter assembly with the stainless steel outer housing. This bulb is rated as 20W/450mm, 1 Gallon Per Minute, 40mj NSF for .5 litres per minute (PLU 19222)
- 6 Watt Replacement UV Lamp for the older Cottage Pure Systems (sold prior to summer 2015), which had a Gray Plastic Outer Housing (PLU 5515)
- Replacement Glass Sleeve for UV Bulb, for CottagePure Systems which used the 6 watt UV bulb) (PLU 22460)
- 8 GPM for Whole House System: This bulb is rated as 32W/645mm (PLU 19226)
- 12 GPM for Whole House System: This bulb is rated as 39W/845mm (PLU 19224)
Replace these bulbs annually. (Except for the Replacement Glass Sleeve, which is only needed if the existing one is broken.)