The Professional Mandoline from Progressive International is an intelligently designed, solidly built fresh produce slicer capable of doing three types of cuts very safely and effectively, with attractive results.
The PL8 Professional Mandoline can slice, of course -- producing big, round, perfectly even slices of onions or tomatoes in four distinct thicknesses (1, 3.5, 5.5 and 7.5mm), which you can alternate between simply by turning the first knob (there are no removable blade assemblies to have to switch between). And it can do julienne cuts, whether thin one of delicate spears of julienned carrots or zucchini for salads, or thicker ones for french fried potatoes -- again, just by moving the middle switch over one or two positions. And for the pièce de résistance, it can also do intricate waffle cuts, which you achieve by first flipping up the lower part of the deck using the tab, and then turning the last knob to turn the recessed blade over (as shown in the first two panels of the second photo).
Other features include:
- the safety hand guard (the very large knob on top) secures food for stable slicing; especially items small enough to fit within it (has has a number of retractable spikes to grip them very well), but also longer pieces;
- the stainless steel cutting blades are integrated into the deck, eliminating loose parts;
- non-skid feet, including on the back legs which have a handle to grip while cutting, and which fold in for compact storage;
- extra-wide, foot-long stainless steel slicing deck accommodates foods up to 4-1/4 inches wide.
- ABS, POM, PP, Stainless Steel and TPE materials, are all top-rack dishwasher safe.