5 Super Food Seeds That You Should Be Eating
Everyone knows that a balanced diet is important to keep the body healthy. Your body needs certain vitamins and minerals in order to function at its utmost capacity. There are some foods available that contain substantially more vitamins and minerals than most other foods. These foods are sometimes referred to as "super foods". Super foods include everything from vegetables and fruits to nuts and seeds. The following are five super food seeds known that are incredibly beneficial to your body:
1. Sesame Seeds
The late comedian Mitch Hedberg once asked the question, "What the heck is a sesame?" It's a great source of nutrients, that's what! The sesame seeds that sit on your hamburger bun aren't just for show, you know.
* Sesame oil is effective in treating high blood pressure and glucose levels in hypertensive diabetics.
* They have been used for thousands of years to prevent tooth decay, bleeding gums, halitosis and dry throat. They were on to something, as it has been proven to improve plaque-induced gingivitis.
* They contain a large amount of calcium. A half-cup of sesame seeds actually provides more calcium than a half-cup of whole milk, only without the saturated fat.
* They also provide a good source of copper, which helps to relieve pain and inflammation caused by rheumatoid arthritis.
2. Chia Seeds
Remember the Chia Pet sensation of the early 90's? They were called that because they contained chia seeds, which sprouted when you watered them. Chia seeds are actually incredibly beneficial to the human body and provide a number of different benefits.
* Chia seeds contain a large amount of alpha-linolenic acid, which is a type of omega-3 fatty acid. Omega-3 fatty acids are essential to brain growth and can also aid in weight loss. Individuals who do not have enough Omega-3 fatty acids in their diet often suffer from heart problems, poor memory, depression and fatigue.
* They contain a combination of soluble and insoluble fibre, which helps slow down the conversion of starch into sugar in your body. This means that it is helping to balance your blood sugar, which helps improve your energy as well as your health.
* They contain a combination of protein, minerals and vitamins that help to increase energy.
* Chia seeds have been proven to lower cholesterol levels.
3. Flax Seeds
Flax seeds contain a number of important and beneficial nutrients, however, it is much easier for the body to absorb those nutrients if the flax seeds are ground instead of whole. So be sure to pick up flaxseed meal instead of seeds to get all the benefits.
* They contain lots of fibre, which leads them to being a good natural laxative.
* They contain alpha-linolenic acid.
* They are a great source of magnesium, which is a necessary mineral used to keep your heart healthy. Magnesium is often used to treat anxiety, migraines and chronic fatigue, in addition to other ailments.
* They have high levels of lignans, which are thought to protect against breast cancer.
* They can help regulate the estrogen levels as well as offer protection against heart disease in post-menopausal women.
* They help the body decrease its resistance to insulin, which could help to protect against diabetes.
4. Sunflower Seeds
Sunflower seeds are probably the most popular seeds amongst its super food brethren. Everyone chewed on those tasty sunflower seeds as a child. But would they have if they had known about their many health benefits?
* They are incredibly rich in vitamin E, an antioxidant that helps to protect cells and fight off disease and bacteria, as well as agents thought to cause heart disease and cancer.
* They have a larger amount of phytosterols, which helps to lower cholesterol, than any other edible seed.
* They provide a large amount of magnesium, which helps in strengthening the bones.
5. Pumpkin Seeds
Remember all those seeds that you scoop out of your pumpkins during Halloween and then just toss away? You should be eating those! Pumpkin seeds are an excellent source of nutrients.
* They contain tryptophan, which is a sleep-enhancing amino acid that will result in a good night's sleep.
* They contain a high level of magnesium, a natural relaxant that is good for the heart.
* They contain omega-3 fatty acids, which have been shown to help reduce the possibility of getting benign prostatic hyperplasia.
* They're a great source of protein that will aid the balance of your blood sugar, which can be an excellent way to lose weight.
* They contain a large amount of phytosterols.
These 5 seeds are all super foods that you should include in your diet for the benefit of your health. Not only are they extremely good for you, they're easy to eat and very affordable as well.
Health Disclaimer. Copyright ©2012-2018. Published with permission.