Info: 90 Veg. Capsules
An important part of AOR's Advanced Series, Probiotic-3 contains enterobacteria which improve intestinal health by promoting healthy flora, initially by fermenting sugars to facilitate the production of lactic acid.
The lactic acid and the butyric acid-producing probiotics in this formula encourage the growth of Bifidobacterium, and together they inhibit the growth of pathogenic bacteria. This patented Japanese product is widely used in hospitals and pharmacies throughout Asia and has been clinically studied for over 60 years!
This specific combination of three strains truly acts in a synergistic manner (as probiotic and prebiotic) requiring no additional inulins, FOS, GOS or other prebiotics.
The Truth about Probiotics: Featuring Probiotic-3, a Clinically Proven Probiotic Combination
An Introduction to Probiotics
The adult gastrointestinal tract (GIT) is comprised of approximately 6.5m of convoluted tube that is divided into an upper portion, consisting of the oral cavity, esophagus and the stomach and a lower portion, which consists of the small and large intestines. Due to its multiple folds and finger-like projections called microvilli, the surface area of the GUT is approximately 200x that of the skin!
The GIT houses many thousands of diverse and complex microbial species, only a fraction of which have been identified and studied. In fact, the lower portion of the human GIT is a more densely populated ecosystem than the entire planet!
Each microbial organism is classified into different genus, species and strain producing thousands of similar yet separate types performing distinct functions. There are three main types of organisms living in the GIT:
* Commensals which are neither good or bad
* Symbionts which are beneficial to health
* Pathobionts which cause toxicity and disease
In general, the symbionts can be classified into three categories:
* Lactobacillus species
* Bifidobacterium species
* Others which include yeast, E. coli, propinobacterium etc.
The term probiotics was first used in 1953 to indicate the health providing benefits of these organisms, in contrast to the harmful antibiotics which kill organisms. The WHO definition of a probiotic is "live organisms which when administered in adequate amounts confer health benefits to the host".
Some of the many potential health benefits of probiotics include:
* Acting as a barrier against harmful bacteria, like those that cause diarrhea
* Generating various nutrients like vitamins B2, B12, K and others
* Helping absorption of important minerals like calcium
* Assisting the production of important digestive enzymes
* Cholesterol reducing effects
* Stimulating the immune system
* Enhancing bowel motility and relieving constipation
* Maintaining mucosal integrity
* Reducing inflammation and allergic reactions
* Assisting detoxification
* Preventing colonization of pathogenic bacteria by competing for space
* Anti-carcinogenic actions
Probiotics have been used for centuries; however, researches have only started to study them in-depth over the past 100 years or so. Japan is the world leader in the use of probiotics in various types of foods like yogurt, candy, milk, desserts, etc.
A safe and effective probiotic supplement must meet following requirements:
* Clinically studied. The more studies the better, as there is a strong placebo effect to contend with. Products that have not been tested in a clinical study should be viewed with caution. Do not take word of any manufacturer! Ask for proof.
* Contain the correct species that are human strains
* Resistant to mutation. This means that the bacterial strains are not subject to genetic change. This is essential to ensure that these beneficial organisms do not become toxic or help to spread antibiotic resistance, which is a very real concern!
* Must be stable and resistant to stomach acid, bile salts and digestive enzymes. It also helps if the organisms are room temperature stable for convenience!
* Ability to adhere to the intestines and colonize. If the organisms cannot set up house in the crowded GIT then they are pretty much useless and will pass through with no benefit. One exception to this are probiotic yeast strains.
* Documented ability to deliver health benefits e.g. stimulate the immune system, have an anti-allergy effect, detoxification and others.
The strains included must be compatible with each other and also synergistic. Most probiotic products contain a hodge-podge of strains thrown together with no knowledge of whether they are compatible or whether they will just kill each other, canceling out any benefit.
Probiotic products on the market: The Facts!
All probiotic products are NOT created equal and many do not offer the stated health benefits. Over 99% of the products on the market have never been clinically studied and make unproven claims! Most formulas are based on guess work, and designed simply provide the greatest number of different strains in the highest number per capsule in an attempt to impress the consumer. Do not be fooled by the concept that more is better. The reason that most companies put in such large colony numbers is because they have no clinical data showing that the strains are compatible, will survive or will produce any effect. In essence they are hoping that by incorporating such high amounts at least some will end up surviving. Do not be fooled!
Some combinations have no history of use and may be antagonistic to each other and may even alter the gut flora in an undesirable way.
Introducing Probiotic-3: A Superior Probiotic Formula
Probiotic 3 has been clinically studied for over 60 years with over 30 clinical studies in Japanese and English.
* Contains three human species
* Proven non-pathogenic
* Specific combination of 3 strains that act in a truly synergistic manner as a probiotic and prebiotic, meaning that there is no need for added inulin, FOS, GOS or other prebiotics
* Patented Japanese product widely used in hospitals and pharmacies throughout Asia
* Proven health benefits including reducing allergies, improving immunity, fighting colds and flu, reducing intestinal complaint like bloating, constipation, traveller's and antibiotic induced diarrhea as well as being a proven detoxifier
* Safe for infants, seniors, and even during breastfeeding.
Each capsule contains:
Enterococcus faecium T-110: 18 million CFU†
Clostridium butyricum TO-A: 0.6 million CFU†
Bacillus subtilis TO-A: 0.6 million CFU†
†CFU: colony forming units.
Non-medicinal ingredients: lactose, potato starch, polyvinyl alcohol, providone. Capsule: hypromellose.
AOR guarantees that no ingredients not listed on the label have been added to Probiotic3 . Contains no wheat, gluten, corn, nuts, dairy, soy, eggs, fish or shellfish.
Adults: Take 2 to 3 capsules daily, either with or without food, or as directed by a qualified healthcare practitioner. Take at least 2 to 3 hours before or after taking any antibiotics. (For maximum product freshness, store in a cool, dry place. Stable at room temperature.
Do not use if you have an immune-compromised condition (e.g. AIDS, lymphoma, patients undergoing long-term corticosteroid treatment). Consult a health care practitioner prior to use if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have fever, vomiting, bloody diarrhoea or severe abdominal pain. If symptoms of digestive upset (e.g. diarrhea) occur, worsen, or persist beyond 3 days, discontinue use and consult a health care practitioner.
Health Canada Natural Product Number: 80070555.