Info: 4 Filter, 6 Stage Water Purification System
Designed to be a maintenance-free drinking water purification system with low operating costs, the Advantage features a 5 micron carbon block sediment filter, a bone char filter for fluoride removal, a KDF/GAC media filter with an industry leading 3 pounds of KDF media combined with activated carbon for removing various contaminants, and 0.5 micron microfiltration technology that removes 99.5% of mercury, lead, and giardia, cryptosporidium, entamoeba, and toxoplasma cysts, to ensure great tasting, healthful mineral water.
Advantage is a point-of-use drinking water system that produces great tasting water that is free of fluoride, chlorine, lead, heavy metals, MTBE, VOCs and contaminants, while maintaining desired pH (alkalinity) and dissolved mineral levels. It includes a 5 year limited warranty, if filters are changed annually as indicated below.
This model is not designed for removing chloramine from the water, but if your area's water supply has been treated with that, Aviva has many point-of-use Chloramine Redox models which do remove it, and which also remove fluoride; they are listed in our Water Filters for Chloraminated Water collection page.
If your water was microbiologically unsafe to drink to begin with, however (if it has not been treated at all before you get it, or if your municipal treatment system is deficient), a Nano system is recommended.ANNUAL COST OF OPERATION: $250 for Annual Filter Kit
MONTHLY COST OF OPERATION: APPROXIMATELY $21
WEEKLY COST OF OPERATION: $4.81
DAILY COST OF OPERATION: 68 CENTS
COST PER GALLON: $0.14 (or 3 CENTS PER LITRE)
(ALL BASED ON 5 GALLONS USE PER DAY)
The OPUS Advantage water purification system uses four advanced filtration components to provide six filtration stages, using three 10" vertical filters and one horizontally mounted inline filter. Tubing, designer faucet, a John Guest quick connect for the faucet and a John Guest ball valve to allow easy water shut off for filter flushing and future filter changes are all included.
Included Components and Specifications:
1. Triple filter wall mount housing that can be installed under a sink or in a basement with a 5 micron filter horizontally mounted on the frame.
2. Inline horizontally mounted 5 micron carbon block filter adsorbs chlorine, unwanted tastes and odors, organic chemicals, and dirt/rust/sediment 5 microns and larger. (Stage 1)
3. 10" bone char fluoride adsorption filter. (Stage 2)
4. 10" 3 lb KDF media / 0.6 lb granulated activated carbon filter. (Stages 3 & 4)
5. 10" .5 micron carbon microfiltration filter that removes MTBE, VOCs and chlorine, with 95% removal of lead and mercury. (Stages 5 & 6)
6. Brushed nickel lead-free ceramic disk designer faucet with normal sink installation components, including a John Guest quick connect that is screwed onto the end of the faucet for fast and easy connection of the blue tubing from the output of the system.
7. Quick connects throughout for all ¼" tubing connections, including on the beautiful brushed nickel ceramic disk designer faucet.
8. Two 5 foot lengths of flexible LLDPE ¼" BPA free tubing - one blue, and one red. Red is used to connect to the cold water source and to the John Guest ball valve (shut-off valve) installed in the input of the horizontally mounted inline sediment filter. The blue tubing is connected to the output on the right side of the system and to the supplied John Guest quick connect that is screwed onto the bottom of the supplied faucet.
9. John Guest ball valve shut-off valve, to make it easy to shut off water to the system for initial filter flushing and future filter changes, connected to the input of the horizontally mounted 5 micron filter.
10. Filter Wrench, to enable easy opening of the filter housings (three vertical components).
FILTRATION UNIT DESCRIPTION:
Stage 1 – Horizontally Mounted 5 Micron Carbon Block Sediment Filter. This is an inline plastic filter horizontally mounted on the top of the system with plastic clips. Under normal use, this filter should last between six months and a year; however, depending on the quantity of water purified and the level of sediment in your water, it may require changing more often. Replace this filter if the water pressure drops to an unacceptable level, but at minimum it must be changed annually.
Stage 2 – Bone Char Fluoride Filter. This is the left vertical stage of the three vertically mounted filters. This filter is specifically designed to remove fluoride. Replace this filter annually.
Stage 3 & 4 – 3 lb KDF Media/0.6 lb GAC. This is the middle, or centre vertical stage of the unit. This filter consists of two components (two stages), including the equivalent of 3 pounds of KDF media and over half a pound of granulated activated carbon (GAC). KDF media is a copper-zinc formulation that combines electrochemical and catalytic technology to remove chlorine, lead, mercury, iron, aluminum, arsenic, chromium, copper, manganese, nickel, chloroform, trichloroethane, lindane, nitrates, nitrites and hydrogen sulfide from water. KDF media has a mild antibacterial, algaecitic, and fungicitic effect and may reduce the accumulation of lime scale. Replace this filter annually.
Stage 5 & 6 – 0.5 Micron MTBE/VOC/lead/mercury microfilter. This is the right vertical stage of the unit, and consists of a .5 micron carbon microfiltration filter with multiple functions, including:
• trapping carbon and KDF media particles from the KDF/GAC filter in stage 3 & 4, and bone char particles from the stage 2 fluoride filter;
• removing chlorine, odors, dissolved and particulate lead, mercury (99.5% removal rate for lead and mercury), and giardia, cryptosporidium, entamoeba and toxoplasma cysts. A unique feature of this filter is the filtration of MTBE and VOCs – contaminants that very few filtration systems can remove.
Upgrades (including ultraviolet sterilization and nanofiltration)
For further information, please download the OPUS Advantage water purification system Installation Guide [PDF]
OPUS recommends all water/plumbing products be installed by professionals. Be sure to flush the filters in the proper order before hooking up and using the whole system, as indicated in the Installation Guide.