Info: 5 Filter, 7 Stage Water Purification System
AlkaPlus is a point-of-use drinking water system that produces great tasting water that is free of fluoride, chlorine, lead, heavy metals and a wide variety of contaminants. The bioceramic final filter provides increased pH, higher levels of healthful minerals, a lower ORP (Oxidation Reduction Potential), a smaller water cluster size, an increase in molecular hydrogen (H2 - active hydrogen ions), giving the water powerful antioxidant properties. Shipping & handling included within Canada.
Note: This system is not designed to remove chloramine (which some cities use to disinfect their water); for this, please see our Chloramine Redox models.
Product Notes:Replacement filters can be bought individually or as part of an Annual Filter Replacement Kit. For further options and add-ons for your water filtration system (including ultraviolet sterilization and nanofiltration), please see the Upgrades page. For further information, download the OPUS AlkaPlus water purification system Installation Guide [PDF]
The OPUS AlkaPlus water purification system consists of five advanced filtration components providing seven filtration stages, with three 10" vertical stages and two horizontally mounted inline filters. Included are two five foot lengths of tubing, a brushed nickel ceramic disk designer faucet with John Guest quick connect, a filter wrench, and a John Guest ball valve that is inserted into the 5 micron sediment filter at stage 1 to make filter changes easy.
Included Components and Specifications:
1. Triple filter wall mountable housing designed to be installed either under a sink or in a basement or lower level (additional tubing required for lower level installations).
2. Inline horizontally mounted 5 micron carbon block filter adsorbs chlorine and removes lead, cysts, and sediment down to 5 micron. (Stage 1)
3. 10" bone char fluoride adsorption filter. (Stage 2)
4. 10" 3 lb KDF media with 0.6 lb granulated activated carbon (GAC) filter. (Stages 3 & 4)
5. 0.5 micron carbon block microfiltration filter (removes MTBE, VOCs, lead, mercury, chlorine, etc.). (Stages 5 & 6).
6. 14" inline bioceramic filter, connected by plastic clips to the 5 micron sediment filter, mounted horizontally. (Stage 7)
7. Quick connects throughout for all ¼" tubing connections, including on the brushed nickel ceramic disk designer faucet.
8. Brushed nickel lead-free ceramic disk designer faucet with standard sink installation components, including a John Guest quick connect that is screwed onto the end of the faucet for fast and easy connection of the blue tubing from the output of the system.
9. Two 5 foot lengths of flexible LLDPE ¼" BPA free tubing – one blue, and one red. Red is used to connect to the cold water source and to the John Guest ball valve (shut-off valve) installed in the input of the 5 micron horizontally mounted carbon block filter. The blue tubing is connected to the output of the system and to the supplied John Guest quick connect that is screwed onto the bottom of the supplied faucet.
10. John Guest ball valve shut-off valve, to make it easy to shut off water for initial filter flushing and future filter changes, connected to the 5 micron carbon block filter.
11. Filter Wrench, to enable easy opening of the filter housings (three vertical components). Ensure you shut off the water (using the convenient John Guest ball valve shut-off valve connected to the Stage 1 sediment filter) before you unscrew the filter housing to remove and replace filters.
ALKAPLUS FILTRATION UNIT DESCRIPTION:
Stage 1 – Horizontally Mounted 5 Micron Carbon Block Filter: This is an inline plastic unit horizontally mounted to the metal bracket on the top of the system with plastic clips. Under normal use, this filter should last from six months to a year; however, depending on the quantity of water purified and the level of sediment in your water, it may require changing more often. Replace this filter if the water pressure drops to an unacceptable level, but at minimum it should be changed annually.
Stage 2 – Bone Char Fluoride Filter: This is the left vertical stage of the three vertically mounted filters. This filter is specifically designed to remove fluoride. Under normal use, replace this filter annually.
Stage 3 & 4 – 3 lb KDF Media/0.6 lb GAC: This is the middle, or centre vertical stage of the unit. This filter consists of two components (two stages), including the equivalent of 3 pounds of KDF media and over half a pound of granulated activated carbon (GAC). KDF media is a copper-zinc formulation that combines electrochemical and catalytic technology to remove chlorine, lead, mercury, iron, aluminum, arsenic, chromium, copper, manganese, nickel, chloroform, trichloroethane, lindane, nitrates, nitrites and hydrogen sulfide from water. KDF media has a mild anti-bacterial, algaecitic, and fungicitic effect, and may reduce the accumulation of lime scale. Replace this filter annually.
Stage 5 & 6 – .5 Micron MTBE/VOC/Lead/Mercury Microfilter: This is the right vertical stage of the unit that is installed after the 15 minute flushing of the Stage 2 bone char filter, and the Stage 3 & 4 KDF/GAC filter. The filter consists of a .5 micron carbon microfiltration filter that has multiple functions, including:
• Removing chlorine, odors, dissolved and particulate lead, mercury (99.5% removal rate for lead and mercury), and giardia, cryptosporidium, entamoeba and toxoplasma cysts. A unique feature of this filter is the filtration of MTBE and VOCs – contaminants that very few filtration systems can remove.
• Trapping particles from the bone char fluoride filter in Stage 2, and the KDF/GAC filter in Stage 3 & 4.
Stage 7 – Bioceramic Alkalizing Antioxidant Filter: A large 14 inch horizontally mounted inline filter, which should also be replaced annually, with normal use. Using bioceramics, alkalizing minerals (magnesium, calcium and potassium), and other unique minerals and ceramics, this bioceramic filter transforms water purified by the previous six stages into antioxidant, oxygenated, alkalizing water with a reduced oxidation reduction potential (ORP).
BENEFITS OF THE BIOCERAMIC FILTER:
• Increased pH, creating more alkaline (higher pH) drinking water. Alkaline liquids help flush acidic metabolites and toxins at the cellular level, while increasing the body’s alkalinity.
• Addition of healthful ionic (ionized) minerals, including magnesium, calcium, and potassium.
• Increase in oxygen. Ionized water can deliver twice as much oxygen to your cells as tap or bottled water. German biochemist Dr. Otto Warburg won the Nobel Prize for research indicating that cancer cells are anaerobic and that cancer cannot survive in the presence of oxygen.
• Added Vitamin C, which contributes to the antioxidant functionality of the filter.
• The antioxidant function scavenges oxygen free radicals (reactive oxygen species), and may help reduce the risk of degenerative diseases including cancer, diabetes, and heart disease.
• Tourmaline – Far-infrared ceramic balls produce negative hydrogen (hydroxyl) ions and create a smaller water cluster size.
• Smaller water clusters (51.497 Hz) hydrate the body up to 3 times more effectively than normal water, while helping to increase the absorption of nutrients and minerals.
ANNUAL COST OF OPERATION: $380 PER YEAR (plus taxes)
COST PER GALLON (Based on 5 gallons per day): 21 CENTS
COST PER LITRE (Based on 5 gallons per day): 4.6 CENTS
Warnings:OPUS recommends all water/plumbing products be installed by professionals. Be sure to flush the filters in the proper order before hooking up and using the whole system, as indicated in the Installation Guide.