Info: 5 Filter, 7 Stage Water Filtration System
The Nano is a point-of-use drinking water system that produces great tasting water that is free of fluoride, chlorine, lead, heavy metals, MTBE, VOCs and contaminants, while maintaining pH (alkalinity) and dissolved minerals. A special feature of this system is the .01 micron nanofiltration filter, which blocks protozoa, (cryptosporidium, giardia), bacteria (campylobacter, salmonella, shigella, E. coli), and viruses (enteric, hepatitis A, norovirus, rotavirus). It will also remove almost all the prescription drugs which may have found their way into your water supply (from people flushing unused ones down their drains).*
The Nano Water Purification System also features several types of activated carbon filters, 3 pounds of KDF media, bone char fluoride filtration, and .5 micron microfiltration technology that removes 99.5% of mercury, lead, and giardia, cryptosporidium, entamoeba, and toxoplasma cysts to ensure contaminant-free water.
Please note, this system is not designed for water sources treated with chloramine (which some cities use in lieu of chlorine); please see one of our Chloramine Redox models for this option.
* E.g., Radjenovic et al. found nanofiltration had a high rejection percentage (>85%) for almost all the pharmaceuticals they investigated; see: Radjenovic J, Petrovic M, Ventura F, Barceló D (2008) Rejection of pharmaceuticals in nanofiltration and reverse osmosis membrane drinking water treatment. Water Res 42(14): 3601-10.
Replacement filters can be bought individually or as part of an Annual Filter Replacement Kit. For further options and add-ons for your water filtration system, see the Upgrades page. Please download the OPUS Nano water purification system Installation Guide [PDF]
More Info: OPUS Nano Filtration Chart/Document [PDF] (~85k)
ANNUAL COST OF OPERATION: $330.00
COST PER GALLON (BASED ON 5 GALLONS PER DAY): 18 CENTS
COST PER LITRE: 4 CENTS
The OPUS Nano water purification system uses five advanced filtration components to provide seven filtration stages, using three 10" vertical filters and two horizontally mounted inline filters. Tubing, a designer faucet, a John Guest quick connect for the faucet, and a John Guest ball valve to allow easy water shut off for filter flushing and future filter changes are all included.
Included Components and Specifications:
1. Triple filter wall mount housing that can be installed under a sink or in a basement with the 5 micron sediment filter (Stage 1) and Nanofiltration filter (Stage 7) horizontally mounted on the metal frame.
2. Inline horizontally mounted 5 micron filter, adsorbs chlorine and removes lead, cysts, and sediment down to 5 microns. (Stage 1)
3. 10" tall bone char fluoride adsorption filter. (Stage 2)
4. 10" tall 3 lb KDF media / 0.6 lb granulated activated carbon filter. (Stage 3 & 4)
5. 10" tall .5 micron carbon microfiltration filter that removes MTBE, VOCs and chlorine, with 99.5% removal of lead and mercury. (Stage 5 & 6)
6. Inline horizontally mounted .01 micron Nanofiltration filter (Stage 7)
7. Brushed nickel lead-free ceramic disk designer faucet with normal sink installation components, including a John Guest quick connect that is screwed onto the end of the faucet for fast and easy connection of the blue tubing from the output of the system.
8. Quick connects throughout for all ¼" tubing connections, including on the beautiful brushed nickel ceramic disk designer faucet.
9. Two 5 foot lengths of flexible LLDPE ¼" BPA free tubing.
10. John Guest ball valve shut-off valve, to make it easy to shut off water to the system for initial filter flushing and future filter changes, connected to the input of the horizontally mounted 5 micron sediment filter.
11. Filter Wrench, to enable easy opening of the filter housings (the three vertical components).
FILTRATION UNIT DESCRIPTION:
Stage 1 – Horizontally Mounted 5 Micron Sediment and Chlorine/Taste/Odor Filter. This is an inline plastic filter horizontally mounted on the top of the system with plastic clips. Under normal use, this filter should last between six months and a year; however, depending on the quantity of water purified and the level of sediment in your water, it may require changing more often. Replace this filter if the water pressure drops to an unacceptable level, but at minimum it must be changed annually.
Stage 2 – Bone Char Fluoride Filter. This is the left vertical stage of the three vertically mounted filters. This filter is specifically designed to remove fluoride. Replace this filter annually.
Stage 3 & 4 – 3 lb KDF Media/0.6 lb GAC. This is the middle, or centre vertical stage of the unit. This filter consists of two components (two stages), including the equivalent of 3 pounds of KDF media and over half a pound of granulated activated carbon (GAC). KDF media is a copper-zinc formulation that combines electrochemical and catalytic technology to remove chlorine, lead, mercury, iron, aluminum, arsenic, chromium, copper, manganese, nickel, chloroform, trichloroethane, lindane, nitrates, nitrites and hydrogen sulfide from water. KDF media has a mild antibacterial, algaecitic, and fungicitic effect and may reduce the accumulation of lime scale. Replace this filter annually.
Stage 5 & 6 – .5 Micron MTBE/VOC/lead/mercury microfilter. This is the right vertical stage of the unit, and consists of a .5 micron carbon microfiltration filter with multiple functions, including:
• trapping carbon and KDF media particles from the KDF/GAC filter in stage 3 & 4, and bone char particles from the stage 2 fluoride filter;
• removing chlorine, odors, dissolved and particulate lead, mercury (99.5% removal rate for lead and mercury), and giardia, cryptosporidium, entamoeba and toxoplasma cysts. A unique feature of this filter is the filtration of MTBE and VOCs – contaminants that very few filtration systems can remove.
Stage 7 – .01 Micron Inline Nanofiltration Filter. Mounted horizontally on the unit with two plastic clips to the 5 micron carbon block filter on the top metal bracket, this filter blocks protozoa, (cryptosporidium, giardia), bacteria (campylobacter, salmonella, shigella, E. coli), and viruses (enteric, hepatitis A, norovirus, rotavirus), and removes over 85% of pharmaceutical drugs. This filter is an excellent low cost alternative to germicidal ultraviolet radiation, and will provide peace of mind should the municipal water supply fail to provide sterilization. This filter does not affect the mineral content in water, thereby maintaining the pH of the incoming water.
Replacement Filters (Individual)
Annual Replacement Filter Kits
Upgrades (including designer faucets)
Warnings:OPUS recommends all water/plumbing products be installed by professionals. Be sure to flush the filters in the proper order before hooking up and using the whole system, as indicated in the Installation Guide.